The major work on the bridge crossing over the Staraya Pregolya and Novaya Pregolya rivers in Kaliningrad is carried out on the Moskovsky Prospekt side and on the Novaya Pregolya side.
The construction project is on schedule for the year 2011. According to Vitaly Matsay, Deputy General Director, OJSC USK Most, the largest scope of work in March was done on Moskovsky Prospekt side and on the Novaya Pregolya side. Regarding the bridge crossing on the Staraya Pregolya side, the design concepts are redefined for this part of the project. Preparation work has been carried out on this project site so far, which includes demolition of the buildings and relocation of utility lines.
Piles are driven to put in place the entry/exit ramp viaduct footings on the construction site on Dzerzhinsky Street side.
Dual-pane glazing windows are installed to replace the old windows in order to protect residents of the nearby buildings against noise in apartments. The bridge will have noise protection screens when construction is completed.
The bridge crossing over the Staraya Pregolya and Novaya Pregolya rivers is designed to carry six-lane vehicle traffic. The following facilities are being built during the implementation of this project:
- Single-level interchange at the crossing of 9th April Street and Frunze Street;
- Approach viaducts leading to the overpass that spans Moskovsky Prospekt;
- Overpass that spans Moskovsky Prospekt;
- Viaduct interchange at the crossing with Moskovsky Prospekt, and a bridge over the Novaya Pregolya River;
- Viaduct on the island between the Staraya Pregolya and Novaya Pregolya rivers;
- Bridge over the Staraya Pregolya River;
- Viaduct interchange in the area of Dzerzhinsky Street – Oktyabrskaya Street – Kalinin Street;
- Single-level interchange in the area of Dzerzhinsky Street – Oktyabrskaya Street – Kalinin Street.
The project is scheduled for commissioning in December 2011.